Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Foil packets

So I tried a new recipe. It was supposed to be yummy chicken with pineapple and brown sugar. The trouble was that it had to be cooked in a foil packet.

Apparently, one must be an expert foil-packet-maker for foil packet cooking to work. It is not something to be attempted by the beginner. I didn't consider myself a beginner. I know perfectly well how to fold foil so it seals. However, you do have to leave space around the food for the air to circulate, because foil cooking works like a convection oven. If you leave too much space, the heat does nto build up, and the food doesn't cook. Leave too little, and the air doesn;t circulate and heat properly, and the food doesn't cook. See the problem?

So my recommendation for those looking to cook with foil is to leave enough time to cook the food for a convention amount of time, just in case you don't ge the packets just right. The chicken was fine. Not great.

No comments: